The Northampton Community Garden comprises 7 acres at the eastern end of Burts Pit Road, adjacent to the Village Hill subdivision at the old State Hospital grounds, and just off Route 66. Our garden occupies the former kitchen garden area of the Northampton State Hospital. Managed and maintained completely by the community of gardeners under the auspices of the Northampton Recreation Department, our 420 plots form the Garden’s living patchwork. We strongly encourage organic gardening practices.
Each of 250 gardeners (or team of gardeners) pays a fee for the gardening season and contributes at least 2 hours of community service. The annual fee for a plot is $25. Plots are roughly 20 x 20 feet; access to water and tools is included in the fee as is access to site-made compost, and wood chips for mulch. Gardeners use their plots to grow both vegetables and flowers.
Visitors are welcome – walkers as well as bird and butterfly watchers. They are asked to stay on grass paths, to leash their dogs, to refrain from smoking (to avoid infecting tomato plants with Tobacco Mosaic Virus), and to take nothing from the gardens.
The Garden is a program of the Northampton Recreation Department and is managed by a Garden Committee of volunteers and maintained completely by gardeners. The Garden publishes a quarterly Newsletter. All are welcome to attend Committee meetings, held on the 3rd Monday of each month—at the Recreation Department (100 Bridge Road, Florence) during the winter and at the Garden during the summer. (Call 587-1040 to confirm time and place.)