Here are the latest updates as we head into another steamy weekend. You’ll find a link to the May Garden Newsletter, information about the May 30th Garden Inspectio and how to volunteer to be part of the inspection team, the 2021 Garden Committee, and information about additional ways to complete your Community Service hours this year.
Here’s a link to the first Garden newsletter of the season. Thank you to everyone who contributed articles! Remember that you can get Community Service credit for photos and articles you contribute. Contact Betsey a email@example.com for more information.
FIRST GARDEN INSPECTION – May 30th
The first Garden Inspection of the season is to make sure all rented plots:
- Are being planted and that weeds have been removed,
- Have legible signs,
- Have their edges cut back and that paths around plots are cleared.
Please refer back to your 2021 Northampton Community Garden Registration form for all Garden rules and inspection information.
If you are are interested in working on completing your Community Service hours by serving as a peer inspector for the May 30th Inspection, please contact Garden Committee member/Inspection Manager Donna Cuipylo at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your service hours. Your email should include your name and preferred contact information.
2021 GARDEN COMMITTEE MEMBERS
The Garden Committee is a volunteer committee of Noho CG gardeners who help oversee the day-to-day operations of the Garden. We work closely with the Northampton Parks & Recreation Department (the Garden is one of the department’s programs), with the DPW and other City offices.
This season we have new members on the Garden Committee in the following roles:
- Christie Peterson, Secretary
- Karen Smith-Emerson, Mowing Manager
- Donna Cuipylo, Inspections Manager
- Sarah Bachrach (joining Jana Chicoine and Greg Mongeon) on the Water Team
- Regina Bragdon and Micky McKinley, Tool Shed Managers
They join these long standing Garden Committee members:
- Tom Gagnon – New Gardener Registration
- Steph Vasiliades – Tree Maintenance Manager
- Arlene Avakian – Village Hill Liaison
- Lora Hodges – Education Manager
All gardeners at Noho CG are responsible for contributing volunteer Community Service hours to help keep the Garden clean, organized and operating smoothly. Historically gardeners have volunteered to keep the Garden free of invasive weeds, clean out overgrown plots, assist with Garden inspections, assist with mowing, write articles for the newsletter, etc.
Although COVID restrictions are easing, we’ll continue to be cautious and focus on smaller work parties and individual assignments in addition to scheduled jobs like mowing, tool shed maintenance & inspections.
Watch for upcoming emails with volunteer opportunities in the Garden!
New CS Opportunities
This year, we are also testing a new idea: we are expanding what “community service” means to include giving you credit for some volunteer work done outside the Garden and in the surrounding communities.
With this new idea, gardeners will be able to receive credit for 1 hour towards their Noho CG Community Service when they volunteer with any of the following local groups and non-profit organizations. This list may expand throughout the season and we welcome any suggestions for other non-profits that would appreciate volunteer help.
If you volunteer with any of these groups/organizations, all you have to do is email us at email@example.com and tell us what you did and the name of the individual to whom you reported. We’ll get back to you if we have questions. Please let us know if you have suggestions for other groups and organizations!
Noho CG Community Volunteer List
- (NEW) Northampton Senior Center Vaccination Clinic
- Volunteer at the Center’s vaccination clinic. Contact Volunteer Coordinator, Loren Davine, at 413-429-6363 for more information.
- (NEW) Pioneer Valley Workers Council
- PVWC is looking for volunteers to help with fundraising.
- 20 Hampton Ave, Ste. 200, Northampton MA
- Call 413-570-3060 for more information Monday – Thursday.
- 2021 Forbes Library Garden Tour
- The Friends of the Forbes Library Garden Tour is a much-loved annual event here in Northampton. In addition to raising funds for the Forbes Library, the Tour gives attendees a peek into the beautiful, otherwise private, gardens throughout the City.
- This year, due to COVID restrictions and the hopes that more people will be vaccinated in the ensuing months, the Tour is being pushed back to July 17th.
- Volunteers for the Tour help with logistics, act as garden guides and other support roles for the group managing the Tour.
- To learn more, contact the Forbes Garden Tour Volunteer Coordinator, Deena Sarvet, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Northampton Survival Center
- “The Northampton Survival Center is dedicated to improving the quality of life for low-income individuals and families throughout Hampshire County by providing nutritious food and other resources. “
- Contact the Survival Center about their current opportunities for volunteers at (413) 586-6564.
- Learn more about their work by clicking here.
- 265 Prospect Street, Northampton, MA 01060
- Easthampton Community Center
- The Easthampton Community Center serves a vital role for Easthampton and surrounding towns with their Food Pantry, Clothing Closet and Community Dinner programs.
- To learn about current volunteer opportunities, visit their Volunteer page by clicking here.
- 12 Clark Street, Easthampton, MA 01027
- Western Mass Pollinator Networks
- WMPN is a local non-profit formed in 2016 to provide education about pollinators, the installation of pollinator habitats and pathways, and an evolving list of grant-back work in support of pollinators.
- This all-volunteer organization also does hands-on installation & maintenance of public pollinator habits throughout the City of Northampton.
- For information about volunteer opportunities, contact Director, Peggy MacLeod at email@example.com.
As always, let us know if you have questions or if there are other things we need to address.
Larri Cochran & Betsey Wolfson
for the Garden Committee