Happy January! The 2021 Returning Gardener Registration Packets will be in the mail on Monday and should arrive in your mailboxes next week. Signed forms (pages 7 & 8) with payment for current plots are due back to the Northampton Recreation Department by February 16th, 2021.
Although the Recreation Department office remains closed to outside visitors, you may still drop off your forms/checks into the mailbox located to the right of the main door. If you want to pay by credit card, you can send in/drop off your signed registration forms and call the office with your credit card information.
Remember that the Recreation Department is located at 100 Bridge Road behind JFK Middle School. Enter the main driveway of JFK and drive around to the right of the school. You’ll see the Rec. Dept.’s grey modular office building just before the playing fields.
Please read all 2021 Noho Community Garden Rules and Guidelines carefully, as some items have changed. A few notes:
- In order to keep the Garden’s base plot fees at the current rate, there have been changes to a few of the other fees:
- We are no longer offering a discount for keeping a compost pile in your plot — but we encourage you to do so!
- Gardeners may take ONE discount only, (i.e. a discount for being 65+ OR applying for a low-income scholarship).
- You now need to include your date of birth if you request a discount for being 65+.
- Gardeners 65+ (who live in Northampton) are eligible for a senior discount for one plot only. (All current non-resident gardeners aged 65+ have been grandfathered in to this rate, in perpetuity, so the $10 discount rate for your first plot will remain the same until and unless that discount rate itself changes sometime in the future.)
- If you are not planning on returning to the Garden this year, please email us and let us know the plot(s) you’re giving up. The sooner we know which plots are open, the sooner we can get in touch with current gardeners who wish to add a plot(s) and the better able we’ll be to offer plots to new gardeners.
- Likewise, if you want to add a plot this year, please remember to fill out the back of the registration form letting us know how many plots you’re looking for. We will be in touch with you in the weeks after February 16th – when the preliminary 2021 Returning Gardener Registration period has ended.
- Returning gardeners have first dibs on newly open plots through March 20th, 2021.
New Gardener Sign-Up Day – Tentative Date
Depending on COVID restrictions, our tentative date for new gardeners to sign up for a plot is Saturday, March 20th from 9:00AM – 12:00PM outside at the Parks & Recreation Department Office at JFK Middle School in Northampton.
In a few weeks, new gardeners will be able to download a 2021 New Gardener Registration form from the Noho CG website. Or they can complete a form at the March 21st event where we’ll have printed copies available.
If you know anyone who would like to rent a plot as a New Gardener this season, please tell them to watch this page as well as the City of Northampton Parks & Recreation Department’s website for the most up-to-date information.
We publish a Garden Newsletter four times per season (March, May, July, September).
If you would like to write an article of interest to other gardeners or have original photographs or illustrations to contribute, please sent them to Betsey (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will include as space permits.
Pieces that are included count towards Community Service hours!
Garden Committee Meeting
We will resume in-person Garden Committee meetings as soon as we’re able to meet outside in the Spring. If you have something to discuss with the Committee you are welcome to contact us.
As always, let us know if you have questions or if there are other things we need to address.
Larri Cochran & Betsey Wolfson
for the Garden Committee