Notice from Northampton Parks and Recreation
The City of Northampton is monitoring the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic closely and working with public health officials to reduce its spread. The City urges residents to practice good health habits, stay home when you or a member of your household is sick, keep a safe physical distance from other people, and take other precautions to protect yourself and others from the virus.
Our Community Garden provides many residents opportunities for physical exercise and, most importantly, the ability to grow food for themselves and their families. We are reminding all gardeners to exercise caution as you begin to work in your plots to prepare for this year’s growing season.
For the time being, the Community Garden on Burts Pit Road will be allowed to remain open. But, we need your cooperation in order for the Garden to remain open this season.
Please, read carefully and follow these guidelines:
- Through at least the month of April, please limit your time in your plots to the minimum amount of time you need to be there — but not more than two hours per day.
- The Health Department and Parks and Recreation Department want to make sure the number of gardeners on site at any time is kept to a minimum, to keep us within Governor Baker’s guidelines.
- Please remember that, for everyone’s safety, this is a time for physical distancing, not a time for social interactions at the Garden — even as we’re all happy to greet our Garden neighbors after a long, challenging Winter.
- All events at the Garden, whether by gardeners or those from outside are prohibited. This means no picnics, parties or other gatherings, no bird or butterfly walks, no workshops – even if those gatherings have less than 10 people.
- STAY HOME if you are showing any symptoms or if you’ve been in contact with someone who is sick. Even if it’s just a stuffy nose, please stay home.
- We also encourage gardeners to STAY HOME if you are considered more vulnerable to exposure to the virus (older adults and people of any age who have known underlying medical conditions).
- WEAR GLOVES while you are on site and gardening.
- Everyone should WASH THEIR HANDS upon entering the garden and upon exiting. For the time being, please bring your own soap
- WEAR A MASK at the Garden if you have one.
- Practice PHYSICAL DISTANCING and stay at least 6 feet away from others.
- BRING YOUR OWN TOOLS. The tool shed will remain locked until further notice.
Please stay safe and remember that the virus can be passed even by people not showing symptoms.
And, please, stay home as much as possible!
From Northampton Parks and Recreation Director, Ann-Marie Moggio, and
Larri Cochran and Betsey Wolfson, for the Northampton Community Garden Committee